There are several great attractions in Aarhus
and it should be easy to pick your favorites for your visit. Highly recommended are these Aarhus attractions:
1. Den Gamle By / Old Town Aarhus
A visit to the old town of Aarhus is a must when you're nearby. There are beautiful old houses, little shops, and food and drink on offer. Lots to look and it's an absolutely beautiful experience to visit Den Gamle By during Christmas! Admission costs DKK 100-125 but it's cheaper with the AarhusCard, plus 50% off from January until March, and children under 18 are always free. (Map of Aarhus)
2. Aarhus Tivoli Friheden
Aarhus Tivoli Friheden
Yes, Aarhus has its own Tivoli amusement park, called Tivoli Friheden. There are lots of carnival-style rides, a big water park as well as an indoor play land and other excitements for all ages. The entrance to Tivoli Friheden is found at Skovbrynet 1 in Aarhus (map of Aarhus
). Especially for families visiting Aarhus, this attraction is outstanding. Admission is also quite cheap (under 9 Euro for adults, just 6 Euro for kids) and this attraction is open from mid-April to mid-October.
3. Marselisborg Castle & Park in Aarhus
Marselisborg Castle A/S
Marselisborg Castle is the Danish Royal family's summer seat in Aarhus
. When the royals are present, you can witness the Changing of the Guard daily at noon. However, most of the time the Royal Family is not here - and that means visitors are allowed to enter the grounds and even visit the Queen's rose garden. You can find Marselisborg Castle at Kongevejen 100 in Aarhus (map of Aarhus
), take the bus line 1 or 19. Free admission.
4. Aarhus Occupation Museum
The Occupation Museum (Besaettelsesmuseet) of Aarhus
is an attraction showing both peaceful and dramatic events in Århus during the German occupation. Everyday life during the occupation, military equipment, war propaganda and Nazi terror are displayed in this museum. This Aarhus attraction is a privately-run museum depending only on admission fees and donations. Admission per person is DKK 30, free under 18. Located in the city center at Mathilde Fibigers Have 2, just around the corner from the Aarhus Cathedral (Domkirke). Open Tuesdays 11 am - 3 pm, Saturdays and Sundays 11 am - 4 pm. (Map of Aarhus
5. The Botanical Garden of Aarhus
A major attraction in Aarhus is the Botanical Garden. This attraction is open year-round and you can visit the greenhouses and the Tropical House (open Mon-Sat 1-3pm, Sun 11-3pm) free of charge. Location of this Aarhus attraction: The Botanical Garden is easy to find in the old town of Aarhus, near the Urban Museum. Look for the windmill. (Map of Aarhus
6. Moesgaard Museum in Aarhus
In the southern suburb of Aarhus, there is Moesgaard Museum, an attraction great for anyone interested in history and archaeology dating back to the Vikings and the Stone Age. The building housing the museum is over 200 years old. Guided tours of the museum are available. Location: In Aarhus' suburb Hojbjerg, at Moesgård Allé 20 (bus line 6). Open daily year-round. Adult admission DKK 60, children under 18 free.
7. Winter Attraction Aarhus SkojtehalThis is Aarhus' attraction in winter: the city's skating rink. It's open in February and March daily, opening just after lunch. Admission is free with the Aarhus Card, and you can rent ice skates at the cafe. Location: The skating rink is found in the part of Aarhus called Christiansbjerg, at Goteborg Alle 9.
8. RaceHall Near AarhusIn Viby at Hasselager Centervej 30, you'll find a major attraction of the Aarhus area - RaceHall, the largest indoor race track in all of Europe! This attraction is suitable for all agres. RaceHall is closed only in January and other than that, is open daily from 10 am - 8 pm. Restaurant on site.
9. The Aarhus Deer Park (Dyrehaven)A nature-style attraction in Aarhus is the Deer Park (Dyrehaven), found 2 miles south of downtown Aarhus. Among many other species, the deer park is housing Sika deer, fallow deer and wild boar in their natural habitat. This is a nice attraction to visit and walk around in and visitors are allowed to bring their own food. You can get here with bus line 19.
10. ARoS Art Museum of Aarhus
The ARoS is the largest art museum in and around Aarhus and an attraction that's both interesting and great for bad weather days. The museum shows art from the last 3 centuries and teaches about local art and design in a very compelling way. There is also a shop and a cafe. You'll find the ARoS Art Museum at Aros Alle 2. Adult admission costs DKK 90, kids 0-17 are free. (Map of Aarhus