What eloping couples will need to do:
- Bring valid passports and birth certificates.
- A marriage license from your home state or country must be obtained to certify that there is no hindrance for the marriage.
- Contact the minister or County Court Judge in the area where you want to get married, in order to receive a Norwegian authorization of Marriage.
- Count on a two week waiting period after having contacted the minister or County Court Judge.
- License costs are very low (if any).
FUN FACT: Traditional Norwegian brides wear includes a silver or silver and gold crown, hung with small spoon-shaped bangles.
For gay/lesbian couples wanting to get married in Norway: "Gender Neutral Marriage":
Norway is an open-minded country and has turned their "Registered Partnership Act" legislation into full gender-neutral marriages as of January 2009. Thus, the documentation required to do a same-sex marriage are identical to the marriage requirements shown above.
If you're interested in eloping in a different Scandinavian country, take a look at these articles as well: