Plan Your Trip to Scandinavia
By Terri Mapes, About.com Guide
- Scandinavia 101: Most Common Questions
- Budgeting Your Trip to Scandinavia
- When Should You Go?
- Visa & Customs Information
- Health & Safety in Scandinavia
- Find Your Hotel
- Find Your Flight
- Maps & Transportation
- Scandinavia with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- Popular Annual Events
- Language Basics: Useful Phrases
Scandinavia 101: Most Common Questions
Let's get started with the basics for Scandinavia travelers. What is Scandinavia, where is Scandinavia, and why should I travel there?
- The Scandinavian Countries
- The Capitals of Scandinavia
- Scandinavia Fast Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions
Budgeting Your Trip to Scandinavia
Use these practical articles to get the budgeting portion of your vacation done!
- Top 10 Budget Travel Tips
- Current Scandinavia Travel Deals
- Online Currency Converter
- Money in Scandinavia
- Top 10 Scandinavian Cruises
When Should You Go?
When should you travel? When is the best time of year for a trip to Scandinavia and when are the times with higher/lower travel prices? Let's get started and narrow it down by month - each monthly calendar shows you pros and cons along with weather information and events for that month!
- Scandinavia in January
- Scandinavia in February
- Scandinavia in March
- Scandinavia in April
- Scandinavia in May
- Scandinavia in June
- Scandinavia in July
- Scandinavia in August
- Scandinavia in September
- Scandinavia in October
- Scandinavia in November
- Scandinavia in December
- OVERVIEW: Scandinavia By Month
Visa & Customs Information
Do I need certain travel documents or a visa for Scandinavia? What are the limits on things you bring to Scandinavia? It's easy to find out with these tips for each Scandinavian country...
- Visa Information for Denmark
- Visa Information for Finland
- Visa Information for Iceland
- Visa Information for Norway
- Visa Information for Sweden
- General Scandinavian Customs Limits
- Danish Customs Regulations
- Finnish Customs Regulations
- Icelandic Customs Regulations
- Norwegian Customs Regulations
- Swedish Customs Regulations
Health & Safety in Scandinavia
Stay safe and healthy during your vacation in Scandinavia with these tips about needed vaccinations, and find out how safe your destination truly is.
- How Safe Scandinavia Truly Is
- How Safe is Denmark?
- How Safe is Norway?
- How Safe is Sweden?
- How Safe is Finland?
- How Safe is Iceland?
- Denmark: Vaccinations & Medical Care
- Finland: Vaccinations & Medical Care
- Iceland: Vaccinations & Medical Care
- Norway: Vaccinations & Medical Care
- Sweden: Vaccinations & Medical Care
Find Your Hotel
Scandinavian hotels come in all types and sizes, so it can be hard to decide which hotel is the one for you! Use these practical hotel finders which also offer price comparisons and quick online booking:
- Bed & Breakfasts in Denmark
- Cheap Hotels in Copenhagen
- Luxury Hotels in Copenhagen
- The Best Hotels in Esbjerg
- Bed & Breakfasts in Sweden
- Cheap Hotels in Goteborg
- Cheap Hotels in Stockholm
- Cheap Hotels in Malmo
- Top Hotels in Bergen
- Top Hotels in Stavanger
- Cheap Hotels in Oslo
- Cheap Hotels in Trondheim
- Cheap Hotels in Helsinki
- Cheap Hotels in Tampere
- Cheap Hotels in Reykjavik
- Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik
- Review: Scandic Hotels (Chain)
- Review: First Hotels (Chain)
- Ice Hotels in Scandinavia
- Submit Your Hotel Review
Find Your Flight
Let's find out how you determine your flight's destination airport, and where you'll find the lowest flight prices to Scandinavia...
- Compare Flight Prices Here
- Major Scandinavian Airports
- Airlines Flying to Scandinavia
- Kayak Flight Price Search
- Luggage Limits & Rules by Airline
- Airport Shuttles to/from Copenhagen
- Airport Shuttles to/from Helsinki
- Airport Shuttles to/from Oslo
- Airport Shuttles to/from Reykjavik
- Airport Shuttles to/from Stockholm
Maps & Transportation
This section gives travelers information on transportation like trains, driving, and public transport in Scandinavia. And if you're planning to drive yourself, let's take a look at the maps and itinerary ideas!
- Scandinavia Maps
- Driving Distances Between Cities
- Ferries in Scandinavia
- Finding Flights to Scandinavia
- Driving in Scandinavia
- Train Travel in Scandinavia
- The EUrail Scandinavia Train Pass
- Scandinavia Tour Suggestions (3-20 Days Long)
- Top 10 Scandinavian Cruises
Scandinavia with Kids
If you've never been to Scandinavia, you may be unsure if it's a family-friendly destination. Here's what you need to know about going to Scandinavia as a family.
- Scandinavia for Kids
- Oslo's Best Family Restaurants
- Great Beaches in Scandinavia
- Christmas in Tivoli Park, Copenhagen
Traveling with Pets
Do you want to take your cat or dog with you when you travel? Here's all you need to know for problem-free pet travel to Scandinavia!
- Taking Dogs or Cats to Denmark
- Taking Dogs or Cats to Finland
- Taking Dogs or Cats to Iceland
- Taking Dogs or Cats to Norway
- Taking Dogs or Cats to Sweden
Popular Annual Events
So what are the biggest and best annual events in the Scandinavian countries?
- Popular Public Holidays & Festivals
- Independence Days in Scandinavia
- Monthly Events: Scandinavia by Month
- Easter Events & Traditions
- Christmas Events & Traditions
- Midsummer's Eve in Scandinavia
- Annual Events in Denmark
- Annual Events in Sweden
- Annual Events in Norway
- Annual Events in Iceland
- Submit Your Favorite Event!
Language Basics: Useful Phrases
No matter where you're headed on your next vacation, knowing a few words and short useful phrases always comes in handy, makes situations easier, and earns you brownie points from the locals. Let's look at some useful Scandinavian phrases for beginners - and if you don't want to memorize anything, just print them out and take them with you!
- Overview: The Scandinavian Languages
- Useful Swedish Phrases
- Useful Norwegian Phrases
- Useful Danish Phrases