1. Travel
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Electrical Outlets in Sweden


Electrical plug and outlet
altrendo images/Stockbyte/Getty Images
Question: Electrical Outlets in Sweden
Sweden uses the Europlug (Type C & F) for electricity, with two round prongs. So what kind of electric transformer or adapter do Sweden travelers need for the 220 volts coming out of the electrical outlets?
Answer: It's not too hard to find out what kind of plug or converter you need for electrical outlets in Sweden. Most laptops will automatically work with 220 volts (check the back of your laptop for power input markings.) That means, you'll only need an adapter to change the shape of your power plug to fit into an outlet in Sweden. These power adapters are relatively cheap and you can compare prices here.

If you bring small appliances, you should double-check. The shape adapter may not be enough. While basically all personal electronics in recent years will accept both voltages, some older, smaller appliances don't work with the strong 220v current in Europe. Check if the label near the appliance's power cord shows 100-240v and 50-60 Hz. If it does not, you will need a "step-down transformer" (also called a converter).

The converter will reduce the 220 volts from the outlet to provide just 110 volts for the appliance. These converters cost a little more than simple adapters. Compare prices of converters here.

Tip: Don't bring any type of hair dryer to Sweden - they are awfully hard to match up with a suitable converter due to astronomical power consumption. Rather check if your accommodation in Sweden has one in the room, or just buy a cheap one locally.

  1. About.com
  2. Travel
  3. Scandinavia Travel
  4. - Sweden
  5. Which Type of Electrical Outlet Is Used in Sweden?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.